Police: 3 killed at a San Diego mosque and both suspects are dead

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Authorities say two teenage suspects opened fire at an Islamic center in San Diego on Monday, killing three men before killing themselves. The case is being investigated as a hate crime, police say.

The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website.

Here is the Latest:

Police chief says suspects were found dead in a vehicle

Wahl says that as officers responded to the mosque, they also fielded reports of gunfire a few blocks away, where a landscaper was shot at but was uninjured.

He says the suspects were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby.

Center’s director says the mosque focuses on interfaith relations

Imam Taha Hassane says it also works to build relations in the community.

He told a news conference that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier Monday to learn about the Muslim faith.

Security guard for the mosque is among those killed

That’s according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl.

Police chief says 3 men were killed and that both suspects are dead

Chief Scott Wahl says both suspects are believed to be teens and that the case is considered to be a hate crime.

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office says he is being briefed

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X.

05/18/2026 17:41 -0400

News, Photo and Web Search

Regional News Headlines